New Ross Friends Meeting House

New Ross Meeting House was built in 1788. Previously meetings had taken place in the houses of James Becket (1660), Ann and John Grubb, Deborah and John Elly, and Samuel Elly until 1789 when it was removed to the new meeting house. It was built on land leased in 1787 from Charles and Ponsonby Tottenham of Ross in ‘Walsh’s Lane leading from the Priory Street to the Quay’. The meeting ‘was laid’ down in 1864. “Since then most of the windows have been built up to suit other uses.” (Source: David M. Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland, 2004)

Status : Extant – Private – Derelict

Also see: New Ross Burial Ground

History:

Location Map and Photo:

New Ross Meeting House

New Ross Meeting House

About these ads
Gallery | This entry was posted in Meeting Houses. Bookmark the permalink.